Papertrey Ink Design Team Tips

Repeat Sentiment Stamping

Gooooood morning crafty friends! Steph here with my very first Design Team Tips with Papertrey Ink! I have a little technique to share with you today that is one of my go-to designs and can be a very beneficial approach to keep your back pocket. It’s called Repeat Sentiment Stamping and you may remember seeing it in multiple of my past designs.

by Stephanie Gold for Papertrey Ink Design Team Tips repeat sentiment stamping

So why am I such a huge fan of this technique? Well for starters…

1. It can add so much subtle texture to a card without adding a lot of bulk. From distressed sentiments, to tiny ones, giant block sentiments, to frilly script fonts, there is no end to the amount of different textures you can create simply by stamping one phrase repeatedly.
  2. It adds an immense versatility to your stamp sets (especially ones with small sentiments). A lot of people seem to think of sentiments as just that. A stamp that will convey a message, typically to be used once on a card or inside a card and then put back until the next card comes around. But it can do so much more!! Keep that baby out and experiment with how else you can use just one little stamp over and over.
  3. You can use any size sentiment and create completely different designs each time. There are also multiple ways you can repeat stamp sentiments. From overlapping, to creating shapes, depending on the size of the sentiment, there are endless ways to use this technique.

Let’s take a peek at some examples using this approach with large sentiments and small sentiments.

Small Sentiments

by Stephanie Gold for Papertrey Ink Design Team Tips repeat sentiment stamping

For my first example I used a super small sentiment from the latest release, Circled Symbols. Small sentiments are very forgiving in that they don’t have to be stamped perfectly to achieve a fun book print type of design. I stamped the “so blessed to know you” sentiment on top of one of the tags from the Made With Love series and because it added so much interest, I left my card base simply white.

by Stephanie Gold for Papertrey Ink Design Team Tips repeat sentiment stamping

Tip: Always make sure to offset the sentiments so they never line up perfectly – this layout is more pleasing to the eye.

Because the sentiment is so small and used more as a layer, you now have the freedom to use an additional sentiment with a larger font on top. I used the “I made this for you and prayed for you, too” from the Made With Love stamp set and then of course I finished my card off with one of the gorgeous flowers from the Gran’s Garden set.

by Stephanie Gold for Papertrey Ink Design Team Tips repeat sentiment stamping

SUPPLIES:

STAMPS: Circled Symbols, Gran’s Garden, Made With Love
INK: Harvest Gold, Bright Buttercup, Black, Smokey Shadow, New Leaf, Limeade Ice, Hawaiian Shores, Spring Rain
PAPER: Stampers Select White
DIES: Made With Love Tags #1, Gran’s Garden Coordinating Dies
OTHER: White Twine

Large Sentiments

by Stephanie Gold for Papertrey Ink Design Team Tips repeat sentiment stamping

The large “happy birthday” sentiment is from the Pen & Ink stamp set and it was so beautiful that I wanted to leave it on its own and let it shine. To accomplish this, I stamped it 3 times in different colors of ink. I LOVE how it came out in a graphic style. I added the small “happy” and “birthday” flags from the Initial Sentiments: Birthday set in black and accented the card with black paint splatters to ground the design and tie it all together.

by Stephanie Gold for Papertrey Ink Design Team Tips repeat sentiment stamping

SUPPLIES:

STAMPS: Pen & Ink, Initial Sentiments: Birthday
INK: Black, Tropical Teal, Bright Buttercup, New Leaf
PAPER: Stampers Select White
OTHER: Black Paint Splatter

More Examples

Now considering this can be used in so many different ways, let me show you some past designs I have created using this design technique:

by Stephanie Gold for Papertrey Ink courage and kindness ways to say thank you

celebrate card set - goldensimplicity.com

by Stephanie Gold for Papertrey Ink Circled Symbols

In a creative rut?

Before I let you go, I wanted to share how I use Repeat Sentiment Stamping to my advantage when I find myself in a creative “writer’s” block. If I am stumped, I place that sentiment stamp on my acrylic block and just stamp it over and over on scrap paper. I stamp it in a line, into a shape, in different colors, upside down and sideways. This shows me different ways it will look together and get my brain moving without structure.

For more Design Team Tips, click HERE.

Well everyone, I really hope you have enjoyed this edition of Design Team Tips. Thank you so much for stopping by and let me know in the comments how you like to use this technique or if there is another one you would like me to cover in my next DTT post! Much love all.

Xo, Stephanie

Are we friends yet?! 🙂 Follow me on FACEBOOK // INSTAGRAM // PINTEREST

21 Comments

1. Joan Bardee April 28, 2017 / 4:35 am

you are terrific! thanks for the great ideas

2. Aunt Min April 28, 2017 / 5:01 am

Awesome Post! I love how you used the small sentiment on your first “Tag card.” And what a great way to get out of a creative slump. Thanks so much for taking the time to expand on this technique. Now if you will only show us how you extended the Lace Die….!

3. Alice Golden April 28, 2017 / 5:18 am

Beautiful examples! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

4. Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes April 28, 2017 / 5:24 am

Just lovely, Stephanie! I especially love the graphic , book print look of Repeat Sentiment Stamping on your tag card. Can’t wait to try it! Thank you so much for sharing such wonderful inspiration today! ♡

5. andrea April 28, 2017 / 5:28 am

Really love all these cards. Simple. Elegant. Lots of white space. Great!

6. jan metcalf April 28, 2017 / 5:28 am

Great tips and inspiration Stephanie! Love the reminder to just play, turn things upside down and sideways!

7. Barbara M April 28, 2017 / 6:18 am

I could see this as A PTI Make it Monday challenge! These are really fun ideas. I forget about a lot ideas that float around…so just even cracking open a stamp then playing with it versus just looking at it trying think about it makes more creative sense.

8. Kari D April 28, 2017 / 6:23 am

Love your explanation of how sentiment stamps can be used in a variety of ways to add both interest and texture to cards/tags. THANKS for sharing! Have to try this! I see a holiday gift tag in my future!

9. Martha G April 28, 2017 / 7:08 am

My first visit to your blog. Love your style

10. Greta H April 28, 2017 / 7:15 am

Thank you for the great tips, Stephanie! I’ve used small stamps for a background, but not very often. Love your examples! The second one is so surprising & gorgeous–makes me want that stamp set even more than I did! Your forever & always card caught my eye immediately when it was first on Papertrey’s blog–one of my favorites!

11. Lynda Marquez April 28, 2017 / 7:48 am

Wonderful post, Stephanie! I never considered using those tiny sentiments in that way. Thank you for the inspiration!

12. Ann Merry April 28, 2017 / 8:03 am

I don’t usually think of sentiments as being “versatile” but you have shown great ways to use them beyond being just a sentiment! I especially like the tag.

13. Trudie April 28, 2017 / 8:11 am

Thank you for reminding us all that our sentiment stamps can be used in several ways. You did such a great job on your cards. Very creative. Thanks for sharing.

14. Birgit Norton April 28, 2017 / 9:30 am

I love this idea and used your card for inspiration on the last Create Along With Us. I adore the bold background it creates. Thanks for inspiring us!

15. RedGem April 28, 2017 / 9:34 am

Great cards! I’m looking at my sentiment stamps a bit different now! Thanks for the inspiration.

16. Janet April 28, 2017 / 11:34 am

Oh that was great. Thanks so much for sharing. I definitely will be trying this technique.

17. Patt H. April 29, 2017 / 4:38 am

What super ideas! I have been in a rut over graduation card ideas & am going to go play with some sentiments. Love your awesome cards! Thanks for the great inspiration.

18. Colleen Howell April 29, 2017 / 6:48 am

I am one that does just that think of it as a sentiment only, I will have to try to go outside of my little box and think bigger. Thank you for showing us ways and reasons to use them differently

19. Nlempinen April 30, 2017 / 3:35 am

Very nice first post, good ideas especially your tip for writers/stampers block, thanks for sharing.

20. Stephanie Gold May 26, 2017 / 2:11 pm

Thank you all so very much for all of your kind comments! I really appreciate each and every one of them. Xo.

21. salem June 26, 2017 / 5:00 pm